Tuesday, August 27, 2013

It's not my fault!


In the rescue world we come across many people who think that there must be something wrong with an animal for it to be in a rescue. Surely it must be sick, have behavior problems or be fundamentally damaged in some way? The reality is, nearly every animal we see come to our rescue is a perfectly fine, but the person that was supposed to care for them let them down.

So many of these adorable critters have been in our rescue for far too long.  The reasons why they came to us and why they have not been adopted are not their fault. Each and every one of these animals is loved, and we are just waiting to find the right family to love them as much as we do!  Read on, and they will tell you their stories.


Caramel
Hi!  My name is Caramel.  I’m about a year and a half old.  I was born on St. Patrick’s Day.  In some ways my life has been lucky, but I’ve also been unlucky.  Let me explain.  I’ve never had a home to call my own.  The rescue has always been my home.  You see, I was born in the care of a shelter, and the rabbit rescue took me in when I was very young.  So in a way, I was lucky because I’ve never had to know the fear of living outside, or been fed a poor diet.  I’ve always been cared for. 

I am glad that I don’t have to worry about being given proper care or love, because I receive all of that in my foster home.  What I want most of all is a home of my own!  All of my siblings have been lucky enough to find loving homes.  I kept getting overlooked because for a while (and this is SO embarrassing) my litter box habits were not great.  My foster home worked with me, and I have been successfully litter trained!

Now my foster home can’t figure out why I keep getting overlooked!  I am cute and sweet.  I would love to be your bunny!  It’s not my fault I continue to get overlooked.
 
We really don't know why we don't seem to get inquiries about this sweet girl!
Summer
My name is Summer.  I was given up to a shelter while I was pregnant, along with the father.  My first “home” didn’t seem to understand that unfixed bunnies of the opposite sex will indeed reproduce when kept together.  I gave birth and raised my babies.  All have found homes to call their own except for Caramel.  Their father has also been adopted. 

My foster home isn’t sure why I haven’t been adopted.  It most likely have to do with the fact that I am a bigger girl (more bunny to love!), and my coloring is a bit plain (even though my foster home says I am beautiful).  I have a shining personality.  It’s not my fault that no one has given me a chance yet.

Summer is a beautiful girl with so much love to give.

Stormy
My name is Stormy.  My first family didn’t really understand me.  They said I was aggressive, but I was confused and young, and constantly had small children pestering me.  My hormones didn’t help either, but the family refused to take the advice of having me spayed.  They gave up on me and sent me to a rabbit rescue.

Going to the rescue was probably the best thing that’s happened to me so far.  I was spayed right away, and while I am still quite spunky, my hormones are no longer raging.

I’ve been here now for close to two years.  I’ve lived in various foster homes.  I am constantly overlooked because of the color of my eyes.  I have the most beautiful ruby eyes, but unfortunately many people find them “creepy”.  The people who care for me now don’t understand that.  At least they tell me my eyes are beautiful.

It’s not my fault that my first family didn’t want to put effort into me, and it’s not my fault I have ruby-colored eyes.

Stormy is such an adorable, spunky girl.


Pets come into our rescue for a variety of reasons.  Most of the time, the common theme is that their current family simply doesn’t want to put any effort into properly caring for them.  While there are certainly legitimate reasons for surrendering a pet (such as serious illness), we find that usually there are alternatives.  Here are the common reasons given to shelters upon surrender:

  • Moving and don't want to spend the time to find a pet-friendly place to live
  • Suddenly develop allergies after years of living with their pet.  I am allergic to hay.  There are, of course, life-threatening allergies, but there are ways to deal with minor allergies.
  • Unsure "why their pets keep breeding" and have too many
  • Think they aren't spending enough time with them, so they surrender them to assuage their guilt.  Unfortunately, a pet will get far less attention in a shelter situation.
  • Didn't realize their pet would get bigger
  • Having behavior problems, but refuse to get their animal spayed/neutered or work on correcting the problem
  • Did not research care requirements of the pet before they acquired the animal on impulse.  Upon realizing that animals do indeed need things like food and do things like poop, they decide they don't want the animal.
  • Purchased the pet for a young child.  After a short period of time, the child lost interest and they decide to get rid of the pet.
  • Changing life circumstances - illness or death in the family, marriage, birth of a child, etc. - and they decide a pet no longer fits into the picture.
There are a million reasons that animals are given up. The pets in our rescue had no say in the matter, they just want to be loved.  It truly isn’t their fault.

If you live in Southwest Florida and are interested in one of these lovely overlooked bunnies, please fill out our adoption questionnaire to get the process started!  

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Nick I'm with Small Pet Select. I'm trying to do the affiliate donations, but the rescue website is currently down and am unable to do so. If you could please contact me at: nickcook@smallpetselect.com with a paypal id, I will get the donation made right away, thanks.

    Nick

    SPS

    ReplyDelete